Skip to content
Several Kinds of Substances of Vape
- E-liquid is the liquid that is converted into an aerosol by an e-cigarette or vaping, product. It is typically a mixture of water, food-grade flavoring, a choice of nicotine levels, cannabis (THC, CBD), propylene glycol (PG), or vegetable glycerin (VG).
- PG and VG are humectants used in e-liquid to produce aerosols that simulate combustible tobacco cigarette smoke.
- The ratio of PG and VG in the e-liquid can change based on whether flavor (higher levels of PG) or plume (higher levels of VG) is desired.
- Also called weed, herb, pot, grass, bud, ganja, Mary Jane, and a vast number of other slang terms—is a greenish-gray mixture of the dried flowers of Cannabis sativa.
- THC is the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana.
- THC and terpenes (aromatic oils) are extracted from marijuana as THC concentrates, hash oil, and wax. These derived products, crumble, shatter, wax, and dry sift/kief, have a high dosage of THC.
- Marijuana contains much more THC than hemp, while hemp has more cannabidiol (CBD).
- Dabbing or dibbing is a process that allows the user to inhale a high concentration of THC by aerosolizing a concentrate that has been placed on a hot surface (the “nail”).
- Dabbing is also a term used when using THC concentrates and wax in a dab pen or a vaporizer.
- CBD stands for cannabidiol and it is derived from cannabis, marijuana, and hemp.
- CBD is the main ingredient in hemp and the second main ingredient in marijuana after THC.
- CBD is not a psychoactive substance.
- Synthetic cannabinoids are a class of synthetic molecules that bind to cannabinoid receptors in the brain and body (the same receptors to which THC and CBD attach).
- They are “designer drugs” that are usually smoked and have been marketed as herbal incense, or “herbal smoking blends”.
- They are sold under common names like K2, Spice, Black Mamba, Kronic, and Synthetic Marijuana.
Hacking or Modifying Devices or Liquid Cartridges
- “Hacking” may include any post-market modifications to the device that are beyond the intended use by the manufacturer.
- For example, users may “hack” closed systems (such as pod/cartridge devices) to refill these cartridges with other substances.
- This is different than “mod” devices, which are intended to be customized by the user.
- Users hack the mod system in order to create a bigger hit (amount) of the substance used. This is done by increasing the temperature used to heat the e-liquid. Dripping is when users expose the heating coils to “drip” liquids directly on the heating device and get a more flavorful and thicker cloud of aerosol.
- Dripping is dangerous because it can expose users to higher levels of the substance (nicotine, cannabis) and to harmful toxins, such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde, which are known carcinogens.